Wednesday 29 January 2014

Peek-ten-boo(ks)

Thank You Jeeves: This novel deals with the adventures of Wooster and Jeeves. The novel begin when Jeeves threatens and leaves his job of butler from Wooster household on account of the cacophonous noise of banzo that Wooster plays and is soon taken in by a friend of Wooster. Wooster himself has to leave his housing society on account of the noise that his banzo-playing creates and incidently was invited by the same friend to live in his county. Adventure begins when love blossoms, misunderstanding happens, revenge sought and well because of those plannings of Wooster and Jeeves. Loved reading it.

Psmith in the city: Already written about it here.

A Damsel in Distress:  Reading this novel was like watching a movie. Seriously, the story-line makes for an full-on commercial pataka rom-com movie. The kind of 70s movie with a simple landlore, his lovely daughter  who loves some outsider and therefore prohibited to go outside her castle, her aunt who wants  her to marry her step-son, the step-son who loves the secretary of land-lord, a successful music director who has love-at-first-sight with the land-lord’s daughter when she sneaks out of town for a day, the misunderstanding in landlord’s family who mistakes the music director to the American man their daughter loved, the seep-loving butler and housemaids and the adventures that follow. Read this fast-paced book and have a feeling of watching a movie. Loved it absolutely.

The remains of the day:  5 star. Loved this book and already wrote about  it here.

Of Mice and Men: I have a phobia of reading classic books. Name it as a classic and I fear that I would not be able to read/ complete it and do justice with the book. It has happened earlier.  “Midnight Children”, “One thousand years of Solitude”,  “Little Women”..I have started them all and my vain brain was not able to finish it. But “Of mice and Men” was different.  First of all it was a novella and not very serious on subject. So I successfully finished it. And John Steinback is a Nobel Laurete. His two other books also features in Classic books, and this book gave me hope that I can read them.

Come On Jeeves: A book of short adventured of Jeeves and Wooster.

The Little Prince: I have heard so much of this book. It is termed as children’s book but then you are never too old to read children’s books or to watch Disney animation movies. I loved “Frozen” so much. But let’s go back to this book. Just read the first page and you know you are in for a masterpiece.

My Man Jeeves: A book of short adventured of Jeeves and Wooster. I can never get bore of the Jeeves and Wooster series.

The Metamorphosis: My brother had gifted me short-stories collection of Franz Kafka to which I frowned as the font style of the book was not very reading-condusive and I have neer read Kafka earlier. But ultimately it was in pdf format that I read this book. The book tells the story of a man who overnight has been metamorphosed into a reptile and how he and his family deals with this metamorphosis. A compelling book and you wonder how would you have dealt with this had you been Karl or one of his family member. I was unsure of ending though.

The Museum of Innocence:  I started this book long time back. This had been my nightstand fixture for a long time. I finished few more books before finishing it. But ultimately, one day I decided enough is enough and I got to restart it. And it seemed I had never left the world of Kemal Bey and Fusun. It is the love-story of a rich man and poor girl with an age-difference of 12 years who fall in love then part ways and then meet almost everyday for 8 years in her home during the period of which the guy kept on picking up little things that are linked to Fusan and ultimately made a museum of all those articles. The story is told in the form of guy’s narrative and I get amazed of reading about his perseverance and obsession with the girl. The love story didn’t terminate in a happy ending but in the end Kemal Bay wanted the readers to know that he led a very happy life. One of the chapter is titled “Sometimes” and all the sentences of this 5-page long chapter started with the word “Sometimes”. I was so amazed to see this and liked it so much. This was my first Orhan Pamuk and the fattest book I had read till date and I am ready for more.







No comments:

Post a Comment