Friday 21 December 2012

Hair story


               I have straight hair. By birth. "I am so lucky", tell my friends that I would never have to pay for straightening. But they dont know the experiments my hairs have been through to be manageable. Having thick straight hair which are dull, drizzy and not in your control is not a blessing.  I still remember my father oiling my hair and wetting it every morning before school so that my boycut hair could be parted and I could look presentable.
               I longed for curly hair like Maggi. The heroines of the late 80s and 90s had curls, my friends had curls, some had straight hair which looked lovely in blunt cut.I never liked my straight hair. Thinking that if I keep long hair it will be more problematic than they are right then, my hair were kept short all the way. When I was in Class 4th we went to Delhi for our vacations. There my mother took me to parlour, shared my hair woes and the parlour girl suggested to get my hair curled. The weird logic being that once the hair is curled it will change the natural texture of my hair and the hair will be manageable and able to parted in any direction I (my parents) wanted. So using strong chemicals and curlours hanging on my hair for hours, my hair were transformed from straight to curly. After paying a hefty sum to the parlour wali aunty my parents thought that the problem resolved .
                 But just like a dog's tail cant be straightened, my thick straight hair couldnt hold the curls for long and in a few months my hair started showing the signs of their own. And beneath the curls the straight hair started sprouting. And with the next cut, the originals were back. The huge sum that was spent got lost with the curls.
                   Now that I had seen both kinds of hair, I and my parents made peace with my hair. Using light, chemical-free shampoos and conditioners, weekly oil massages I started caring for my hair. Later after my Class 12th, I started keeping shoulder-length hair. With the whole world around going gaga over straightening, I get compliments for my natural straight hair What can I say. I still love curly hair like maggi but given a choice I would rather keep my hair straight.Oh, I love my imperfect straight hair.



This post is written for Sunsilk Straight Hair Experiment Contest.

No comments:

Post a Comment