My maid has worked for 26 years, or so she proclaims.So here is the gyan I have got from her 'Professionalism' (huhh??) in a year:))
Management Lessons from my maid:
1) Whenever the employer(M,me) seems angry, not in good mood dont talk much to her instead work hard, clean the gas-stove ,wash the dishes in time and yes when she, the employer reaches from the office be ready with a cup of hot tea.
2) Never directly ask for money/increment.Instead weave the story of how the other employers have increased their maid's salary even though they work less harder than the maid.
3) Never nag/ask for salary on the due date.Money can wait.If the employer is not paying her on time there may be some genuine reasons like she may not be having the ready cash or was forgetting to pay at times.BUT if the delay is prolonged, hit the button and ask directly.
4) Be polite to employer's family.
5) Work is worship.No matter there are temptations to be back in your home and not come to duty, BUT come and work.If taking leave, duly tell the employer with prior notice.
6)Have a heart.Be human.Every employer is a human too so care for your employer.
7) Money is not the most important thing in life BUT it is important.So whenever you feel you deserve it, fight for it.
8) Be resouceful, even if you cant read, be ready to go to the extra mile to get the parcha(note) written by your employer for you read by anyone nearby so that you can act accordingly.
9)Have multiple skills and let your employer know of them or at least have a hint of them.This way your employer can utilize more of you making you indispensable.
10)Look for new oppurtunities.Feel free to show your interest whenever you find one where you can give your inputs and ask for recommendations from your employer if needed....