Monday 26 October 2009

Being a GEM

My dear friend updated me of a new word and I thought it is apt to write a post about it right now before this phase eludes me and I am left with nothing but wordless memories..

Being a GEM, I realize there are certain aspects added to your personality and knowingly or unknowingly we all follow this pattern:


You keep falling in and out of love with the same person. With every good thing, your belief in the other strengthens further and with every fight, the clouds of doubts appear.

You start questioning yourself and assuring yourself and arguing and believing the sanctity of marriage.

The home where you lived your whole life now for you becomes your parents home. You innocuously start calling your home as your parent’s home.


The once-in-the-year calls of your cousins and aunt’s become frequent these times who wants to know all the updates on the preparations of the D-day.

You find yourself staring at the dummies with bridal-outfits. Not that you were never into window shopping but looking lustily at those designer embroidered/ kanjeevaram sarees is a total new experience.

Before every purchase, you begin contemplating if this thing/ dress could be used after your status change as well and if the answer is a guiltful no, you, with a heavy heart, leave it at the counter.


On seeing an old crush at the social networking site still brings a smile on your face while your mind repeats “You are a GEM now”.

You day-dream of what the future life would be.

You worry a lot of how the whole process of marriage going to happen and thus reduce weight and instead of that so-called glow what shines in your face are those new zits.

If you are working like me you also start wondering about what lies ahead professionally but believe me, career is the last thing on your mind right now.


You smile and cant wait to marry when you see some marriage function or a sweet couple roaming in the market but at the same time you heave a sigh after a day-out with your girl- friends thinking this might not be a regular custom afterwards.



P.S: For the uninitiated, GEM stands for “Getting engaged or married”.


Edited to add: Celestialrays handed me this fab award which I have proudly displayed in my blog. I would love to give this award to NEHA who I think not only has a fabulous blog but herself is a fabulous person. This one is for you, Neha!!

12 comments:

  1. is that so? does it mean u are a GEM? :-)

    i guess i'll cross the river when i come to it!
    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the P.S...till i read that i wasn't sure how GEM related to what you've written :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) all of this is so true...just reminded me of my time...journey from GEM to just M is nerve racking...but you would be just fine...enjoy the days

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah, i so remember those days...make best outta them...

    and thanks a tonne for the fab award...I am so overwhelmed...I read this post last night, but my laptop was giving me some problem, so couldn't comment...and today i see an award here...wow...I am so very happy..

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow ur a GEM congrats...

    but readont ur posts.. scared me a lil :( ... why do we hav ot thru this GEM think loll its scary at times na

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats first
    and second, those days are really wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow.. Congratz now you are a GEM.

    May be you can add this also to the pattern... You sit in office and stare the monitor and smile & Blush at the same time... Seen it with teammates :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO TRUE! SO TRUE! SO TRUE!
    I was smiling all the way, reading this post...This is exactly what I went through last yr..The phase is so beautiful!!!!!

    And about we calling our house as "Parents house" - It used to hurt me in the beginning..Now I happily say that..miss them

    ReplyDelete
  9. awarded!!!

    come visit my blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. okkkk...that's a new word 4 me!

    u getting married? congrats :D

    n nice post that! very true i guess :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are yet to answer... whtr ur a GEM... I demand an answer :)

    By the way..wow you guessed it right... Chk my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. same pinch....me too a GEM..:))..and yeah...so true is what u have written...all the best for the new phase..:)))

    ReplyDelete